We’ve been around for well over a century, and we plan on being around for at least a century more. Taking the long view means a commitment to sustainability and protecting the environment. From the energy- and water-conserving features to the living roofs, Assurity Center was built with the utmost attention to minimizing environmental impact in its construction and operation. Its innovative and comprehensive approach made it one of the first privately owned major office buildings in Nebraska to receive LEED Gold Certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
Some of the prominent features of the bulidng include:
- Extensive use of windows with exterior sunshading and interior lightshelves that reduce reliance on artificial lighting.
- High-performance windows and automated internal shades reduce heat gain.
- Emphasis on use of recycled-content and regionally available materials, including limestone from within 500 miles of Lincoln.
- Energy-efficient heating, cooling and electrical systems, including an innovative ice bank storage system which uses off-peak energy to provide air conditioning more efficiently and at lower cost.
- Under-floor HVAC distribution which allows associates to directly control the air flow within their work spaces.
- Low-flow, water-conserving plumbing for 33 percent water use savings over a typical office building.
- Green (living) roofs to reduce heating and cooling costs and provide stormwater benefits.
- An innovative approach to stormwater management using underground cisterns to store runoff for grounds irrigation.
- Pervious paving surfaces and bioswales to reduce runoff and allow absorption of rainwater into the subsoil.
- Use of drought-tolerant native and naturalized plantings to minimize irrigation, reduce the impact of maintenance on the environment and create habitat within the city.
- Close proximity to a major public transit line and the convergence point of Lincoln's trails system, allowing convenient access to alternative modes of transportation.